I’ve been thinking about self-driving cars a lot lately. It’s a fun topic to look into and there’ve been several interesting articles recently. There’s been a lot of talk out there because the self driving car reports from California have come out for this year. I agree with this article, however, which points out that these reports don’t really tell us anything except for which companies test on Californian roads.
But I’ve noticed something interesting. In a lot of these articles, both the ones on the reports and articles on other aspects of the industry, there’s inevitably some prediction for the future and this prediction is usually contradictory to most of the other predictions out there.
Often it seems like we’re going to usher in a golden age of self-driving cars that don’t need humans and our dream of watching a live action Cars movie can come true. (that’s everyone’s dream right? Not just mine?) Other times it seems like we’re about to utterly destroy civilization entirely and be left holding a single broken key fob. With this in mind and after scouring the web for predictions on when we’ll have self driving cars I’m pleased to introduce a brand new initiative here at Panda Rose. The Panda Rose Choose Your Own Prediction Adventure! By following this simple quiz, you can easily come up with predictions to give to all your friends at your next cocktail party and even better, it doubles as a really cheap personality test. Are you ready? Alright, let’s begin!
Looking at the latest technology I am absolutely certain that we will have self-driving cars ______!
- before 2022
- after 2022
- the distant future
When we get self driving cars they will ____
- usher in a golden age where no one owns their own cars anymore.
- usher in a dark age of traffic where everyone and their dog are driving everywhere
- not really change anything
- lead to the destruction of modern society and massive civil unrest.
The solution to all the problems stopping us from using self-driving cars is ___
- not needed. Almost all our problems are solved already. I’m already getting ready for my preorder.
- to put all cars onto rails and maybe change their name to ‘trains’.
- making it illegal to go near a road on foot.
- nothing. There’s no solution. We can only accept that it will never work.
Self-driving cars will eventually be as safe as ____
- whatever the safest thing in the world is. I dunno. The Svalsgaard Doomsday Seed Vault maybe?
- a car driven by a really good human driver.
- a car driven by a contestant on Canada’s Worst Driver
- standing on the surface of the sun.
Self-driving cars are ___
- guaranteed to work correctly so I’ve sold my current car and invested all my money in all the companies.
- a good idea if they work.
- alright, I guess.
- the fifth horseman of the apocalypse which will lead to our destruction at the hands of our car overlords.
Now it’s time to calculate your results. Add up the numbers of every answer you chose.
If you scored 5 points, you’re an idealist. Your view of the future involves you driving into the sunset in a beautiful sports car. And when I say that you’re driving, of course I mean that the car is driving while you take a well deserved nap.
If you scored 6-19 points, you’re probably a realist. Especially if you didn’t answer question #3 because you didn’t agree with any of the choices. You think there’s a good chance that we’ll get self-driving cars at some point but life won’t really change all that much for us when that happens. You’re willing to wait and see though.
If you scored 20 points, you’re a pessimist (or a Luddite perhaps). You don’t think we’ll ever have self-driving cars but if we do it’ll be the end of us all.
If you scored 0 points because you skipped over all the questions, you probably think that you don’t have enough information to make a prediction and so you’ll keep quiet for now. Well a noble intention, I’d urge you to reconsider. Not having any information certainly hasn’t stopped the rest of us so why should you miss out on all the fun?